Total Pageviews

Friday, March 28, 2014

Literature Analysis #3

Literature Analysis #3
 

1) The trouble with BOYS- Peg Tyre is a non-fictional book who dedicates their research to the school boards, parents, teachers who have trouble educating boys in school.  In Peg's research she ha conducted enough evidence to say there is nothing wrong with the boys in the program, it's the school's who need to be more boy friendly!

2) The author presented this topic because she has boy's who have been through so many school programs and thought there was something seriously wrong with how they learn. As she researched more she found out that the nightmare was about to be over by digging deep with talking to school boards, teacher's, programs of education, and many other parent's over the problem with boy's and school.

3/4)I personally chose this book because I have a younger brother who majorly struggles in school and he's made it to high school with all F's! So, I was determined to find out whatever I could to help solve this situation. I am a big sister to him and I have a duty as a protector to do what I can to help him in his struggles. At first this book seemed stereotypical but as I read more of it, it really caught my interest and I found out things I didn't before. I would end up having reactions such as ,"Oh, that's why that is," or something. In the intro Peg exclaims her personal problem with her two boys so I really thought in my head that this woman is just like me, trying to get to the bottom of this boy problem.

People
 
1) The author does interpret things and certain events in her own way but I understand why. When someone feels betrayed, hurt, and emotional especially when something or someone messes with someone else's kids! The tone of her voice changes as she expresses her own that about how she views problem with schools for example but then the author will go back in a serious tone of just letting information flow so there is an amount of it being exclaimed to be known! So people understand what the ide is getting across.
 
2) Susan Horn is a character in the book that is an important part to the research of the author. She is an early education expert who wears her brown hair tucked behind her ears. 15 years spent in a classroom, ran Head Start program, and supervised early education program for an entire district. As a fictional character I could see her being a direct and sharp looking lady.
Trina Furgerson is the first character in the book described. She is a Pilates instructor, supportive for education and local school, and the mother of Chance Furgerson who had many "issues" in school. If she were a fictional character I could see her being very sweet, polite, and an open minded lady.
 
3)The two people I chose to write about are supportive evidence to the research the author has made. Susan is an important role because she is an expert and supports the hypothesis the author has. Trina Furgerson is the first story written in the book and is point blank on the main idea of the chapter and practically the whole book.
 
4) Indirect characterization: "I sat in so-called model classrooms where, for a full 50 minutes, the teacher led her girls in a lively discusiion of Zora Neale Hurston'd novel Their Eyes Were Watching God while the boys sat as still and silent as stones."-Author
"Lately, however, I've been getting the sense that lots of parents aren't willing to stand by silently anymore."
Direct characterization: "Dragseth is a plainspoken man with an even smile, which can disguise the fact, at least at first, that he's something of a visionary."
"In the last five years, Joyce Kenner, principal of prestigious Whitney Young Magnet High School in Chicago, has seen the downward spiral."
 
5) The author uses diction allot when speaking highly of professionals for example and syntax when telling a characters personal story.
 
6) After reading this book I felt connected and hooked so it left me wanting to do my own research. It has made an impact in my life which is positive and very helpful, I enjoyed this book as a blessing and I found some sort of contentment.
 
Style
 
1) The author used journalistic style as she wrote the book in first/second person I would say. Examples of this are when she says things like, "Let's take a look at how things have changed.," or "But developmentally appropriate isn't really the point."
 
2) Depending on the research described in the book, the author uses lengthy and descriptions but does meticulously look at experts background and what they have done to support the main point in the book. This gives the reader the impression that everything she has put into the research is factual and comes of very persistent to make the point after each reference.
 
3) The tone of voice the author uses is direct and persuasive to get the main point across.
 
4) The attitude toward the opposing arguments for example with the woman's rights in education, the voice was defensive but understanding and reversing the argument to make the authors point.
 
5) The author uses many resources such as graphs to represent data, interviews are done by the author, historical documents are mentioned and used, and this affected my thinking allot because it helped me view the points made more clear and understanding of why some things were chosen or said to represent the main point in the chapter.
 
This book has impacted me because I have a connection with it. The point and research done on this book has lead me to do my own research and therefore I have. I still am researching more information on boys education, I hope to find enough to help my family member's who struggle in school as well. The boy's aren't always the problem and I've known that for quite a while but the problem was not having any one to support my thought. Now that I have read and have been expressed to more knowledge on the subject it has made a big impact on my way of thinking and has lead me to strive for more on the topic. This book was presented to me by my Psychology teacher and I am thankful she did because this little thing in my life has impacted my knowledge in a way I never imagined. 

No comments:

Post a Comment