Total Pageviews

Thursday, February 20, 2014

Literature Analysis #2

NON-FICTON ANALYSIS
1)The title of the book is called, "The Developing Person Through Childhood and Adolescence,"-Kathleen Stassen Berger. The book is depth in detail when a fetus is in the mother's womb until teenage years. All in between it includes science and psychology mostly.
2) The author is a M.A.T Major from Harvard University and is experienced as an educator directing preschool, teaching philosophy and humanities, and social psychology.  As an educator the author educates her reader's through the book about fetuses development to teenage years and the science as well as psychology perspective behind it.
3) I personally chose this book because it is one of my interest in psychology and it has benefits in educating myself with the importance of development with children today. This book came across to me in my child psychology class that I take in high school and so it has my attention. There is no doubt that when I started reading the book I wasn't going to stop after that. My incentive is my curiosity about my childhood and also that of others.
4) This book is realistic because the information inside is known around the world, documents are presented,  names, and places are also included. Much more information is given to have me believe the author knows what she is talking about. After reading a few chapter's I made plenty of connections to when i was a child myself, it helped me understand some of my incentives as a child.

People
1) So far in my evaluation of the author telling it from a research point of view there are little interpretations of the author's opinion or view. If we met the subjects spoken i believe it would be the same as it tells in the book. It's good to put in one's own experience if it is connected to written topic and so I think the author did no only that but because her degree in psychology she is eligible for say.
2) Sigmund Freud is the founder of the psychoanalytic theory and is an Austrian physician who did much experience on his clinical patients who had mental illnesses. The picture represented for him shows his to be an older version of him. As a fictional character he would be a mad man himself working in the intelligence department of psychology.
Erik Erikson is the stage theorists of Psychosocial from Germany and wondered through Italy. He was criticized much for his experiments were mostly on his own children. As a fictional character I would imagine a mad scientist almost like Frankenstein.
3) I chose these two people because they are main root to this books teaching. Their theories are the root as the tree grows into more and more branches of information linked to them. They are important to practically the whole department of psychology.
Update
1) Indirect- "Psychoanalytic theory would say that the infant would love whatever satisfied it's oral needs, and behaviorism would predict that the infant would become attached to whatever provided reinforcing food."
Direct- "This boy is 14 months old, in the sensorimotor period, and at an age when he loves to experiment."
         - "Vygotsky did not attain their conducted in Stalinist Russia, was largely inaccessible to the Western world and partly because he died young, at age 38."
2) Indeed the author's syntax change when describing each character in the book because she does go into depth about each character. The tone of voice can seem more interested depending on how much information is expressed according to the authors belief.
3) The author shows static characterization throughout the whole book unless she puts her own thought into the subject in connection than the protagonist becomes dynamic. Round characterization is expressed in the writing because as a reader I focus on understanding the main stage theorists in the book.
4) I did feel connection through this book for example in the beginning of the chapter it explains, "Stage four, which occurs from about 8 months to 1 year, is sometimes called 'the means to the end,' because babies now think about a goal and begin to understand how to reach it." It blows my mind to know that babies can do this, up to being an adult we all do this, it may be basic but thinking that an infant's brain can accumulate its power ton already think this way! Like Woah!
Style
1) The author was straight forward and the form of writing was research. Many documents and character's, other psychologist perspectives, experiments from other's, many other resources are included.
2)Everything the author has to write about is lengthy, especially characters who are important to the moral of the chapters. This gives me a safety net for me to believe the author knows what she is talking about. The evidence is there and out expressing itself as it is.
3) The tone of the author is directive, no change of excitement or anything , very straight forward and gives much information to get her own point across on each chapter.
4) The tone with the subjects is informational i could say, towards the reader's very direct and content to give her knowledge through the book and the reader.
5) The types of resources were short biographies of theorists, psychologists, university experiments, connections to other studies and more people. This helped me engage myself into the information given like i was so tuned it was intriguing.
Enduing Memory
The theorists in the book described will always remain in the back of my head because my future studies will rely on it and it helped me mentally to think about how to react in my own scenarios through life. Even when i have kids in my future I think some important notes that I have taken on this book is relevant to current situations. One experiment that stood out to me was the monkey and how it had been tested to go to a robotic mom or a monkey mother like figure out of folded gauze diapers. The monkeys had attached themselves to the gauze figure surprisingly. Interesting because the conclusion came to advise caregivers to cradle and cuddle right when they baby starts to cry. In definite i will keep studying more developmental psychology and I know somehow this information I kept in my head is going to be needed later on.


No comments:

Post a Comment